The workshop of young citizens in the Mediterranean is an initiative carried out by the association heads of Art, the citizens of the Earth and the circle ACM of Marseille with the support of the PACA Regional Council. Together, they wish to share with the actors of the accompaniment of young people on issues of citizenship, sustainable development and interculturality on Marseille, Toulon and Nice, the project AJCM 2018.
This project is to promote the citizen engagement of young people in the field of sustainable development in the Mediterranean.
The fundamental idea is to create a concerted action at the same time all around the Mediterranean, with a strong media impact, to highlight the citizens ' approaches brought by young people in this vast area.
This flagship event, symbolic and unifying the concrete engagement of young people, will take the form of a day of pedagogical cleaning of beaches, on 14 April 2018, simultaneous in many Mediterranean countries. On this occasion, youth initiatives will be presented, already existing or developed at workshops during the months of March and April.
This action is not an end in itself it is the pretext for discussion, awareness, learning skills, the experience of interculturality for young people. In the long run, this media day is intended to become the "Youth citizen Engagement Day in the Mediterranean", and will be a new step towards the representation of youth in the Mediterranean.
The project has a multi-year vocation, its goals for young people are:
• Allow them to increase their skills by accompanying them on project management, and thus contribute to improving their employability
• Contribute to the discovery of the major concepts of the circular economy and eco-development and their economic, social and environmental impacts
• Stimulating their citizen engagement through the development of a collaborative event, in the Mediterranean multi-cultural context
• Creating spaces for dialogue between young people, elected officials and public policy
The educational cleaning action of the beaches is easy to set up, to coordinate and to mediate. We will be able to rely on the "Ocean Initiatives" campaign (Surf Rider Foundation) which offers organizational kits with an Internet site for coordination and pedagogy.
The project started in 2014 and today we want to give it a greater Mediterranean scale (17 cities in 11 Mediterranean countries met and interested). In France, we will undertake the mobilisation on Marseille, Toulon and Nice, based on the actions previously undertaken:
• 1st Mediterranean Youth meeting in 2015 allowing young people in the Mediterranean Basin to present their proposals for action on youth Engagement and representation
• First concrete action to clean the beaches in 2016 in Marseille, Nice and Tunis.
We hope that the young citizens of the Mediterranean will be many more to join us in this new adventure…